Saturday, March 17, 2012

Sodium Bisulfite

Sodium bisulfite, is a chemical sanitizer, preservative and water dechlorinator. Sodium bisulfite is available in a granulated form that resembles table salt. Combining sodium bisulfite with water produces sulfur dioxide gas, which kills unwanted microorganisms. Sodium bisulfite also prevents oxidation and as so, acts as a preservative.

Medications, such as dental anesthetics or eye drops, may contain sodium bisulfite as an antioxidant preservative. Along with the related chemical sodium metabisulfite, sodium bisulfite is recognized as potentially causing allergic-type reactions. Sensitivity to these sulfites is more likely to occur in individuals with asthma, according to These allergic-type symptoms can be severe enough to produce a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction. Allergy testing is available from your doctor if you suspect you may have sulfite allergies.



No comments:

Post a Comment